How To Clean Your Handcrafted Jewelry
Handcrafted jewelry is a beautiful and valuable investment that requires proper care which means it’s a good idea to learn how to clean it properly. The best solution for this is to use Mr. Clean (green/ gain scent) Multi Purpose Cleaner /Original Cleaner and very warm water. You should also use a soft, non-abrasive cloth and avoid using harsh chemicals or abrasive materials that could scratch or damage the metal or stones. For pieces with gemstones, you should also be careful to use a cleaning solution that is safe for the specific type of stone, as different stones have different cleaning requirements.
Follow these steps once a week for best results:
- Setup a space to clean your jewelry in: In general, you’ll need to use a bowl, a soft cloth, warm water, and Mr. Clean.
- Clean the metal: Mix half very warm water and half Mr.Clean into a bowl. Place the piece of jewelry in the cleaning solution and while the jewelry is in the cleaning solution gently rub your fingers on the jewelry to help take the pollutants off the piece.
- Soak for about 2-3 minutes and then take it out and run it under the warm water for a moment just to get the soap residue off. Lay the piece flat onto a soft cloth or paper towel.
- Pat dry : Once your jewelry is clean, use a soft cloth or paper towel to gently pat it dry. Be sure to avoid rubbing or scrubbing, as this can cause damage or scratches.
- Finish Drying: Once you have taken the moisture out of the piece lay it flat onto another dry cloth/paper towel for a minimum of 4 hours just to get all of the moisture out of the piece. Do not store away you piece until it is completely dry.
- Store your jewelry properly: Store your fine art jewelry in a dry and safe place, such as a jewelry box or pouch. Be sure to keep it away from direct sunlight and moisture, as this can cause tarnishing or damage.
While the steps for cleaning your jewelry may seem straightforward, there are a few other things to keep in mind to ensure that your jewelry remains in good condition. These tips can help you to prevent damage, maintain the beauty and value of your jewelry, and extend its lifespan. In this section, we’ll discuss a few additional things to keep in mind when cleaning your jewelry.
You should always remove your jewelry before engaging in activities that could damage it, such as sports, housework, or heavy lifting. You should also avoid exposing your jewelry to chemicals, such as perfumes, hairspray, and cleaning products, as they can damage the finish and discolor the metal.
Proper storage is also crucial for maintaining the beauty and value of your handcrafted jewelry. You should store your jewelry in a dry, cool place, away from sunlight and humidity. You should also avoid storing your jewelry in a tangled mess, as this can damage the metal and stones and make it difficult to untangle.
By following these simple steps and taking proper care of your jewelry, you can ensure that it remains beautiful and valuable for years to come.